I won’t say I did and I won’t say I didn’t but I will tell you this; a man who wouldn’t cheat for a poke, doesn’t want it bad enough. — Augustus McCrae, Lonesome Dove

Booze of the Week

Posted by ArmedGeek on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 in BOTW

Glenfiddich 15 year old single malt scotch is the current Booze of the Week. I’ve only first cracked this one open but damn this stuff has some flavor. First impressions are important and this one makes a good first impression. I’ll update and bump this in a couple of days when I’ve had more time to enjoy it.

Bump & Update [ArmedGeek]:

I’m unable to find fault with this scotch. Sure it may not score tops in any given category but it does place pretty high in most every aspect. If you’ve not been down the scotch path and are looking to try it, I still suggest the Macallan 12 but if you want something with a bit stronger flavor, this would be one to grab.

Not too expensive either as this came in at just shy of $50 for the fifth. The Macallan 12 and the Glenfiddich 15 certainly do make me look forward to spending more money in the scotch aisle of my friendly neighborhood liquor store.

May as well do a Football update here:

…and a Deadpool update:
No new deaths, but we do have about 3 or 4 celebs that have been circling the drain here lately.

1. Harry says:

This is the booze of the YEAR. The 15 yo Solera Reserve is my absolute favorite. This scotch is smooth, heavy, lots of complexity. It has that vanilla -- almost sweet -- taste. At about $55 (VA ABC) it’s moderately priced. This is definitely one to have in the cabinet…

They re-branded this a little this year. It used to be called the “Solera Vat Reserve.” They still use the same barrel blending technique, but they stopped calling attention to the Solera vat. Not sure why. Regardless -- this is a GREAT scotch.

I’ve got to say, I’ve never been disappointed by Glenfiddich. Maybe they should market it as the safest choice on the shelf.

3. Paulie says:

See, NOW you’re drinking some great hooch.

You could actually do a different single malt scotch of the week for a year if you wanted to do a little research.

And I bet we’d be happy to help…

4. Harry says:

Yeah, the problem for some of us is the stupid state run ABC stores…they’re so limited in what they carry. It’s also irritating that they don;t have anything decent in a large format. Because, see, we all need half gallons of scotch laying around….

I think this 15yo bottling is better than their 12 or 18. Though I did enjoy a bottle of their “Snow Phoenix” last winter. It was produced out of the whiskey that was salvaged from one of their buildings that had a roof collapse after a bad snowstorm. If you can get your hands on this stuff, it’s worth it -- VERY complex. Here’s a pic I snapped in it’s fancy box: http://www.pika-doo.com/wp-content/themes/metric/images/snowphoenix.jpg

5. Put the quits on that girlie sweet swill you keep trying and stick with these manly choices.

HEY!!! :P

6. Purple Raider says:

You will never be disappointed with a 12-21 year old scotch. Never.

7. Slightly says:

Ditto to what Sentry said, Though I’d add that safe is not always a great thing. Glenfiddich is very good, it hits all points well but none of them great. It almost seems to me that the distillers didn’t want to take any chances with it. Not a bad thing at all, but also not something that I will give more than an 8 out of 10.

8. DaninVan says:

It’s not about art, it’s about volume.

9. the botnet says:

Woo Hoo! First place in the dead pool! First place in fantasy football, and first place in H&B Pick’em!!! (if you don’t count my fellow cheeseheads Lizard and Dick Tater… Which I don’t!)

Woo Hoo!!!

10. Maestro Semprinin says:

The best Glenfiddich ever was the Sesquicentenary Reserve called “The Excellence”. There were but 60 casks of that lovely nectar which came in a black bottle sealed in gold wax. On my way back from London after attending The King’s Colours and marching with my Regiment in the Whitehall parade, I was worshiping the singles in the liquor dept. of the duty free at Gatwick. I placed a quart of Highland Park in my basket and was trying to make another selection when I was offered a tot of the “Good Stuff”. The lady doing the pouring didn’t show me the bottle right away, but the crescendo of flavour and delightful cascade in the finish compelled me to ask, “Wow! What am I drinking?” I gladly paid 60 Quid for it and should have bought at least two more and paid the extra duty as there cannot possibly be any left in the public domain. That Scotch was liquid sex.

11. cmblake6 says:

Aye, ’tis a lovely wee dram!

12. Sanyo Soup says:

Hmm…

You can’t legally call this Scotch, but it is about a parsec past even really good stuff…

Just sayin’

13. cmblake6 says:

Looks NICE! Can’t find that anywhere within 200 miles of me though.