Duct Tape is like violence. If it doesn’t work, use more. — Unknown, Unknown

Pesky Consequences

Posted by LC Aggie Sith on Monday, November 12, 2012 in AssHatery, GS450L, Politics

I remember back in September of last year, when Hubby came home for R&R, we went to have lunch at Olive Garden. I had noticed a few changes to their kids menu and enquired about it. The waitress seemed oblivious to it, but I found out later that the restaurant chain and its owner, Darden Restaurants, made the changes in response to pressure from the “Let’s Move!” campaign First Lady Michelle Obama sponsors.

Obama launched the Let’s Move! campaign to fight childhood obesity, and has challenged restaurants to offer more healthful menu items. So far, establishments such as McDonald’s, IHOP and Burger King have jumped on board, pledging to include better options such as fruit.

In July, McDonald’s said it would alter its Happy Meals, cutting back on French fries and adding apples. The company also plans to reduce calories, saturated fats, added sugar and sodium on its menu. Other restaurant chains, such as Romano’s Macaroni Grill and the Cheesecake Factory, have also added more healthful items to their menus. Who said peer pressure was a bad thing?

Frankly, I was rather appalled. It isn’t the job of government to dictate what you can and cannot eat, though they damn well do it. But it is a private corporation and they have the right to do as they please with their menus, as well as the right to cave in to pressure. And before y’all go criticizing me for wanting fat foods, that’s not my point. I prefer to eat the fruit options rather than the french fries. My point is that the company is willing to tune out the will of their customers in favor of the will of the administration, thinking special favors like this may save them from other follies coming their way.

Well, guess what? It didn’t do shinola.

Orlando-based Darden Restaurants is testing cuts to workers’ hours in an effort to keep down costs of the health-care reform act, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Darden (NYSE: DRI) told the Sentinel the tests would take place at “a select number” of its restaurants in four markets, including Central Florida.

The goal is to keep employees at 28 hours a week at the designated test restaurants.

They thought raising the minimum wage was the answer? How’s that working out when you DON’T GET THE HOURS TO COMPENSATE?? And if you aren’t a full-time employee, YOU become responsible for paying for the new and improved HEALTHCARE!!

But hey, you always have the Race Card™ to max out.

1. Jay in Ames says:

Ouch.

But this will not be the last we hear of this issue. Many will be going to a similar model. But do you want to bet on who gets blamed for this?

2. No need to take that sucker bet, J’Ames.

3. maestrosemprinin says:

They won’t dare try this crap at White Castle. Soy sliders are a non starter. Here’s to the major food groups: salt, sugar, caffien, and grease.

4. Mitchell says:

Pappa John’s Pizza announced they will do the same thing. The Usual Suspects are shouting “corporate greeeeed!” and vowing boycotts of course. The call for an anti-boycott-buy-a-PJ-pizza-day is next Friday. I’m not partial to Poppa John’s but hey, I’m always up for a pizza for a good cause.

Word is they’re calling this the Layoff Bomb, and it was ticking all the way up to election day. I have to admit, I’m concerned. I could give a damn aboot Olive Garden, but I read aboot a coal operation that canned most of its’ employees and a few other big industry responses to Obama’s socialist dream. This could have a nasty effect on my new job…with only months left on my probationary period.

What’s that they say about Socialism/Communism? “Ideas So Good, They’re Mandatory”?

6. Yabu says:

Life has changed as we know it. FACT! This is going to get a whole lot worse before its gets better, if it does. Our government might have dug a trench too deep to climb out of. Everyone I know is making adjustments. They have no choice.

7. Grand says:

There will be more jobs!

More minimum wage part time jobs…

When I was a kid, I had fast food maybe once a month. If kids today are getting fat because of McDonald’s, it isn’t because Happy Meals have too many fries, it’s because parents are feeding their kids too much fast food.

As for the government poking its nose into our personal business, get used to it. Things will only get worse as Obamacare expands its reach.

I just remembered something aboot the happy meal options. Sure, I suppose apple slices are healthier than fries. I’m not so sure aboot the caramel dipping sauce for ‘em, though.

10. Jess says:

Let’s see: Increase wages, which reduces the amount of hours, which negates the increased wages, which increases public assistance requirements, which decreases revenue to the private sector, which increases the need for money from the private sector, which increases the demand for higher wages, which reduces the amount of hours…..

***

Two ignorant young college students decide to go into the watermelon business. They buy a truckload of watermelons for a dollar each, park on the side of the highway and sell them for a dollar each.

At the end of the day, one says to the other: “We sold all our watermelons, but we didn’t make any money.”

The other replies: “I have the solution: We need a bigger truck.”