Duct tape is like ‘The Force’. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Knights in Body Armor

Posted by LC Aggie Sith on Friday, December 14, 2012 in Everyday Hero, Open Thread

I have a lot of friends in law enforcement. Some in cyberspace, most in Life. I ♥ each and every one of them. Our blogger friend O’Shea Shenanigans shared a friend’s note on the social site with faces that really drives the point home.

Anyone ever wonder why cops are such ‘pricks’? Every shitty, rotten, horrible, scary situation that exists in life, cops deal with it. Repeatedly. Every friggen’ day. Your ‘worst day ever’ is just another tour. Car accident, homicide, rape, robbery, baby mama drama, baby daddy drama, family dispute over who gets the last pork chop that winds up with a dinner guest sporting a steak knife in the chest, a kid that goes missing or runs away, a Dad who gets tanked up and uses Mom as a speed bag, a drug overdose, hostage situations… [E]very despicable thing that one human being can do to another is what the police are immersed in every day.

When I was in the accident, Hubby raced down the parkway well above the speed limit. The police officer on the scene left me to go yell at him, and the altercation was…. Well, let’s just say it kept me from dwelling on the wreckage! Hubby was not happy to be yelled at, but he realized that it was the policeman’s job to keep order at the scene. And in the end, they shared an apology, a joke, and a handshake. Law enforcement officers have a great sense of humor. They have to, in order to deal with the sewage of everyday life.

cop ftw

Yes, every so often you run across one that is a rotten apple. But the vast majority carry a weight that rivals and sometimes beats Atlas’ burden. I can’t imagine the shit they have to deal with daily. But I do say a prayer of thanks every day for each one of them.

So, what are your favorite cop stories? And do they involve the drunk tank?? :D

1. PapaMAS says:

My favorite cop story is probably not what you were expecting, I think. One day in 1985 I was walking down Broad Street in South Philly when an older man saw me and literally ran towards me, excitedly waving and smiling. I did not know this guy so was a little taken aback. He asked me if I was related to someone, and I replied that he was my grandfather. The guy then shook my hand and said, “You look like him. I just wanted to tell you he was a great man.”

My grandfather was a precinct Captain in South Philly in the 40s & early 50s, and died in ’55, 30 years before this incident. By all accounts, he was a good man who took care of folks. I guess so, if someone went out of his way 30 years later to shake some kids hand because he looked like the man he remembered.

2. Roamingfirehydrant says:

My boyfriend in high school had a ’66 Chevelle. My hometown was REALLY cracking down on speeders, as in 2 or 3 mph over would get you pulled over. Well, we got pulled over. The cop was an old friend of my sister’s. He asked for license, registration, and insurance, and I leaned over and said, “Hi Billy!” He recognized me, and we chatted for a bit. I let him know that my sister was divorced and had moved back home. He was very happy to hear that she was back on the dating scene. My boyfriend just sat there and didn’t say a word. By the time we were through talking, Billy let us go. Never even looked at the license.

A few years ago, I got pinched at a check stop. Not a ticket, just a warning for blowing .005. Yeah, that’s not a typo. Point zero zero five. In Manitoba, that’s enough to have your license pulled for twenty-four hours. How did it happen? I had two beers in three hours after work. Unfortunately, I hadn’t considered that they were pints and not bottles.

Anyway, the Queen’s Cowboy (Gravel Road Cop, Dudley, RCMP Constable , whatever you prefer to call ‘em) was a little French-Canadian dude. Asked me if I had two people I could call to come pick up my truck. I thought aboot it and said “hell, no. But how aboot if one person arrives in a cab”. He thought it over and said yeah, that’ll work.

So I spend an hour or so in the back of the car talking with buddy and chuckling at the situation. While I was in there, his dentist went straight to jail along with five other drivers and tickets were handed out all over the place.

The Wife arrives and buddy lets me outta the back. I shake his hand, we wish each other well and he reminds me to pop by the station to pick up my license the next evening. I wave to the other Constables and get in The Truck to see The Wife just fuming. She says “What the hell was all that aboot?” I say relax, even the cop thought it was a bullshit stop, but the law’s the law.

She says “No, you get your PREGNANT WIFE out of bed to come pick your sorry ass up and I find you laughing and shaking hands with the COP!”

I say “Well okay, I fscked up there. What should I have done, spat on him?” That broke the ice a little, but when I told her why buddy was looking for a new dentist, she almost crashed the truck she was laughing so hard.

4. Dan says:

I’m certain that LEO see the worst of society on a daily basis. Well guess what…. So do other professions.

Firemen, paramedics, ER employees etc. etc.
    They all get to see society at it’s finest…
    and that’s usually when the “wheels fall off”.

Somehow those groups don’t become petty, abusive, violent, perjuristic monsters.

Nice try…not buying it.

And I have a saying….actually a proverb, because it’s fundamental truth.

“If there were any good cops there would not be any bad cops”….that’s because an honest profession polices itself and gets rid of the monsters….LEO won’t.

5. maestrosemprinen says:

Got pulled over for a rolling stop. The officer who stopped me saw my life member NRA patch on the jacket I wore that day and said, “I gotta go, we just got a call.” He just got back in his patrol car and took off. I sent him a Christmas card last December with a contribution to the Backstoppers and a St. Barbara medal because he didn’t write me up with a wink and nod in the bargain. He’s one of Us.
    This one was told to me by a Navy vet who also happens to be a capital dumbshit, but it’s too good to be BS. He was a probationary patrolman in Tulsa and cruising the lovers lane in his area one Friday night. Shining his light into one of the cars parked he spotted a teenaged two humped monster in the middle of their first big one. He said he had to call in the paramedics because they were stuck in and couldn’t get apart: after which he then had to call their parents. Guess you had to be there.

6. [...] & B Knights in Body Armor   Hogewash Bias? What Bias?   Hot Air A second mass shooting avoided on [...]

7. Reiuxcat says:

I’d have to check the statute of limitations first.

8. Grunt11b says:

If the ‘good’ cops would stop protecting the criminals with badges then more people would respect them. Till they do screw the lot of them.