Man Law : The head nod is an acceptable way to greet another guy when simply walking past. No words are needed to be said. An upward nod is for friends, a downward nod is for fellow men.

Living, Not Existing

Posted by LC Aggie Sith on Friday, December 7, 2012 in Open Thread

A few of years ago, I met a wonderful man who served in the Army during World War II. He was at Pearl Harbor 71 years ago, stationed at Schofield Barracks. He came to talk to the Boy Scout Troop about his experiences in the service, and was kind enough not to varnish anything with a nice coat of pretty. One of the Scouts was paying rapt attention, and he asked him, “What did you learn from the Army?”

I thought it was rather a vague question, but he said very loudly, “Never take Life for granted!!”

Hubby learned that lesson while in Egypt. I learned it when I was very young, from my uncle and his alcoholism. That vet was 84 years old, and was planning to go hiking in the Appalachian Mountains that year. He passed away a couple of years ago, and I have no doubts he died happy.

As for me, I don’t have to do anything spectacular to live Life to my fullest. Knowing my kids are becoming responsible, conservative adults is plenty! But yes, sometimes you want to do that crazy thing and say you did it. For me, that would have to be swimming with sharks feeding wild cats riding roller coasters …….

Sigh….. I’ll think of something. :D

1. GMLand says:

Bought a Corvette. Partied with rock stars. Ate the worm. Shook hands with a President, flipped off the current one. Flew a plane.

*compiling rest of list*

2. Reiuxcat says:

There’s a few places I’d like to visit, as long as I can enjoy my food and drink with good company, I’ll be quite content.

3. It’s the little things, Reiuxcat.

*glares at GML*

:D

4. txmarko says:

Right now I am in a holding pattern, mostly for financial reasons.

I entertain thoughts of traveling to see a bunch of National Parks in a very comfortable RV before I pass.

Maybe it will happen, maybe not….

5. Welcome to H&B, txmarco!

I quite like that idea. Still giving GML the stink eye, though :D

6. QueenBee says:

I agree…. a huge pile of books, a comfy chair by a campfire, new sights out the window every day- that would work for me!

7. Reiuxcat says:

GML did what ya asked him…

National Parks? Yosemite and Crater Lake are on the list. Son wants to see Grand Canyon. (I rode my bike from Seguin to there ( 3 1/2 days one way), Hiked 4 days and 3 nights down to the bottom, half up the other side and back out when I was twenty six. Quite cathartic at the time. Seemed like half a lifetime ago… Crap! It was! Adding back to list. ;-)

8. *scratches “singing in flash mob at the mall” off the list*

Heh!

9. Reiuxcat says:

Kyle Field yell practice could not be considered a flash mob Aggie.

10. True, Reiuxcat. But the flash mob to which I refer happened last night, at the mall, in the middle of the food court, and it was Christmas carols :D

Aggie knows my wants…a peaceful existence where I can eliminate my hates and dislikes. And have a family I can exist with without the drama.