Fascinating race, the Weeping Angels. The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess, no fuss, they just zap you into the past and let you live to death. — The Doctor, Doctor Who (Blink)

An Accidental Tourist

Posted by LC Aggie Sith on Friday, January 25, 2013 in History, Open Thread

Lately I’ve been feeling the travel bug. I guess it’s residual from Hubby’s deployment to the hellhole the ME. But my want of travel fluctuates between the ridiculously extravagant (Fiji), to the hellaciously remote (El Hierro), to the pedestrianly mundane (Vegas, baby!!).

There is one place I really, REALLY want to see if money were no object, though.

easter moai

Seriously, who wouldn’t want to go see a bunch of half-buried statues on an island the size of Houston, situated in the middle of the world’s largest ocean?

*THIS GAL*

So, if money were no object, where would y’all visit? And would you want to live there?? ;)

1. Wade says:

America before Obammy would be nice.

2. Jess says:

I’ve actually thought about your question. My thoughts were of different parts of the world, or places in the United States and I finally realized I’d rather visit all of Texas first. Even if I left today, I wouldn’t have time to see enough before I died.

And I would live there….and do.

3. maestro semprinin says:

I used to go to England often when I attended the King’s Colours. I love Yorkshire where my best mate lives. The best moment of my life was when I entered Blenheim Palace. Her Ladyship who checked my Heritage pass looked at my Edge Hill medal and said, “You belong to the Sealed Knot.” My friend replied, “no, we’re in the English Civil Warre Society.” Her Ladyship turned to me and said, “they had a battle at our farm last summer. Would you like one too?” When someone who’s husband is a Peer of the Realm tendered such an invitation without even asking me my name…
    It was so wonderful, I looked to Heaven and thought, Lord take me now. It doesn’t get any better than this.
    If I was still in the King’s Army, I’d attend the Colours for the parade from St. James Palace to the Banquet House in Whitehall this Sunday to commemorate the death of Charles I, 29 January, 1649.
    Remember what He did? He bankrupted his Kingdom and plunged it into depression. Would that we had a Cromwellian figure to stop liberalism here and now.
    My bucket list is the allied campaign in Europe; and northern Italy to see St. Agatha were Verdi lived, and on to the purveyors of O/U’s and thumb busters.
    Powerball is $110 mil this week.

As a watcher of the ‘Traveling Aggies’, two questions they asked were, “How many countries have you visited?”, and “Where would you LIKE to visit?”

For the first question, I had to stop at 33 countries.

For the second question, I have always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands.

As for where I would want to live…..Costa Rica is looking REAL good!

5. Larry says:

Australia. And no, I like it just fine here.

6. wandering neurons says:

Trip to the International Space Station! Outer Space, baby! Go where very few have gone before.

7. Mr. Matamoros says:

The Ice Hotel in JukkasjÀrvi, Swedish Lapland, 200 km north of the Arctic Circle. I’d bring a warm coat though…

8. Steamboat McGoo says:

Yeah -- Australia (to dive the Great Barrier Reef), and Oz (to see -- well -- everything). And Truk Lagoon (diving, again).

But -- damn! -- those are long flights from Missouri!

9. Critter says:

the more i read about Easter Island the more interesting it becomes.

10. Veeshir says:

Wandering Neurons has it.

And yes, I’d live there.

11. hilljohnny says:

spent a few days in key west once, would like to go back for a longer stay. remember galveston fondly too.

12. Dave in Texas says:

*caption* Slowly the Easter Island statues stopped talking, and the one in front says “How YOU doin?”