A good friend will come and bail you out of jail…but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, “Wow…that was fun!”

Booze of the Week

Posted by ArmedGeek on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 in BOOZE!!, BOTW

templetontopper

When Prohibition outlawed the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages in 1920, many enterprising residents of a small town in Iowa chose to become outlaws – producing a high caliber and much sought-after whiskey known as Templeton Rye, or “The Good Stuff” to those in the know. Based on the original Prohibition era recipe and aged in charred new oak barrels, Templeton Rye provides a smooth finish and a clean getaway.

I’ll start by saying I’m not a fan of rye whiskey. This is much more flavorful than most modern ryes but with mostly the same taste. As I said, I’m not a fan of rye however, this would definitely be my pick of the rye whiskeys.

The color is a bit lighter with less red/orange than bourbon but darker than most ryes.

Don’t let my distaste of rye whiskey make you think that I didn’t drink the whole bottle. And I did enjoy it. If you like the rye whiskeys (or Canadian) I highly recommend you give this stuff a shot.

1. I’m salivating…. over the bottle. I could totally use that in a project.

2. Jay in Ames says:

I’ll try to get one for you, aggie.

3. Jay in Ames says:

When I worked at a restaurant in western Iowa, the old timers used to talk about their parents/grandparents going up around Carroll and Templeton to pick up whiskey during Prohibition. Leave a growler and cash in the woods, come back later to a full one.

Al Capone used to pick up a bunch, too.

4. maetrosemprinin says:

It’s McCormicks here when you can find it.
    3 fingers at least.

I’d try it if I saw it on the shelf, but I’m enough of a booze snob to admit that my rye’s gotta be Canadian.

6. Reiuxcat says:

Whoa whoa whoa!

Canadian whiskey (what they call rye) is a bunch of blended booze.

The rye made in the states is made bourbon style but uses rye instead of corn.

This is like calling Jack Daniels bourbon calling American rye the same as 7&7 and even crown royal.

NPR highlighted Templeton last week. Had the prohibition history (it was the good stuff in Chicago). Pretty cool for NPR.