Man Law : No man shall ever turn down free beer because “it’s not their brand.”

Icon of the Week

Posted by LC Aggie Sith on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 in Awesomeness, Icon, Retro hooker

It has been a long time since I featured an icon. But I was watching Vertigo a few days ago, and remembered how beautiful and striking Kim Novak was back in the day.

kim novak1

The first movie I saw her in was Bell Book and Candle. I loved that movie, and my dad said if I really liked her, I should watch Vertigo. Needless to say, that was awesome. And then she quietly retired to Oregon, where she raised horses and llamas.

Is it any wonder I like her??

kim novak2

And she liked pearls, too.

If y’all would like to watch some of her movies, Turner Classic Movies will be hosting a Kim Novak tribute with an interview and several of her films on March 6. Grab some popcorn :)

It was a beautiful thing, when celebrities managed to maintain an illusion of dignity in public. It’s a shame that sort of thing died during my lifetime.

2. maestro semprinin says:

Actors who consider what they do their job, compared to the grandstanding idiots like Clooney, Penn, Fonda, Sarandon, and whomever, are very rare. They are considered enigmas and get shabbily treated by the media for it. The only time the late Paul Scofield got mentioned was when he twice turned down the Accolade from Her Majesty. But show me an entertainer who doesn’t bedhop or demonstrate and I’ll show you a nonentity.
    Kim Novak was particular and picked her scripts carefully. Bell Book and Candle was adapted from the play, and when we had great playwrights instead of hacks, anything successful on stage was likewise on film. Neil Simon was the last writer to do that. David Mamet left New York to write for television but has not brought his stage material to the screen. Paddy Chayevsky ripped the Academy a new one when he did Network. The term Dramatist has fallen out of use, and distant, as is Kim Novak.

3. DaninVan says:

The headline for this piece wrote itself…

4. xbradtc says:

I’d give her a pearl necklace.

5. Veeshir says:

I knew there would be a pearl necklace joke in here.
    I’m not the only one who goes for the low hanging fruit.

Yeah, actors and actresses have no class, they have chins (men) or silicone and peroxide.

I thought Kira Kneightley was classy and hot (the accent and the boobs), but then she went all anorexic and now I can’t even look at her. It’s creepy. I never liked Ally McBeal either.

6. maestro semprinin says:

The maroon of the decade Hugo Chavez is GONE.

7. Critter says:

speaking of icons gone missing, soylent green has disappeared.

8. Critter, he can be found at Site Y. Click on his name on the blogroll to access it ;)

9. Hm, it’s not updating. Try this link:

10. Lobo says:

Kim Novak had an affair with,

wait for it

I said wait

Sammy Davis JR

11. Struan Robertson says:

Kim attended Northwestern Univ with Chuck Heston before it became Trotsky U. My favorite film of hers will always be “Bell, Book & Candle.” Jack Lemmon as her bongo playing warlock brother. Piewacket the Cat -- now THERE was some acting! Ernie Kovacs, Elsa (Bride of Frankestein) Lanchester and the inimitable Hermoine Gingold. Fun film & a classically beautiful woman, Kim was.

12. Struan Robertson says:

Great pic, SG -- amazed I don’t already have it. I do now. Thnx.